Wednesday 30 January 2013

Find out more about our new member Elizabeth Scorah!




Hi Lizzy – welcome to the group. We’re really excited about working with you and thought it would be nice to let people know a bit more about you! So....

What made you take up the harp and how old were you when you started?

When I was five, I got into my head that I wanted to play the harp.  A bit of a shock for my unmusical family, as it came out of no where.  My Mum tried to fob me off with the recorder, but I stuck with the idea and a year later she had tracked down a teacher....no Google search then, so she hunted through the yellow pages in the library, found Holywell and it went from there.

Did you always want to play professionally?

It was one of my hobbies as a child, but I also enjoyed doing lots of other things too.  When I was younger it didn’t ever occur to me I could ever make a living as a harpist, until I realised that I wanted to play in a Symphony orchestra, more than anything.  From then on I was sold.  I did come home at 16 and announce to my parents I was giving up to become an air hostess.  That idea didn’t last long.....

How many harps do you have and why did you choose them?

I have two Lyon and Healy style 23s; one thats about 6 years old that I got from new, and one from 1962 that belonged to Karen Vaughan before.  This one I borrowed for my final recital at the Academy and fell in love with it.  The new one, I bough for myself while I was doing my first degree.  I had played on L&Hs during lessons and decided that I should get myself one, so off I went to save up.

Which harpist has most inspired you over the years?

Not one person in particular actually, its definitely my teachers at RAM, all of them in different ways.  Some through performances I have seen, some through the guidance they have given me.  During my time at RAM the whole harp thing clicked and I though, yes this is what I want.  It wouldn’t have happened if I wasn’t inspired.

What do you love most about the harp?

Everything!  I have the best job in the world.  I never sit down and don’t fall in love with it all over again.  Its not one thing, its the package and the wonder of where I might end up in the future with my harp.

What is the strangest performance/place you have ever played in?

The Academy sent me away to Bosnia for some outreach work about seven years ago when I was a student.  I though touring was going to be glam.  Not quite the case, but we did have a fun time!

Do you have a favourite piece of harp music?

Ravel Introduction and Allegro.  I love to play it, and I love to hear it played.

What made you decide to audition for 4G4H?

I love harp ensemble.  After six years in the RAM harp ensemble, I ran out of degrees I could do other than a PHD, so I had to leave!
Also I knew two of the members and have loved playing along side them in other situations.  I knew it was this particular team I wanted to be a part of, thats why I auditioned.

What are you most looking forward to about playing with the group?

The cake breaks.
And preparing my part on my own, then the sound when we all fit together.  Its also great for me to work toward- three other harpists puts that little edge on it that makes me want to push myself and not let the team down. 
Also, having some people who understand where I am at and how I feel.  It can be lonely always working on your own.

What do you do to relax/entertain yourself away from the harp?

I bake a different cake every week for James.  One day he will be fat!
I love to travel, walk in Epping Forest, cook, and secretly I’m longing for an allotment.

What is on your Ipod at the moment?

I don’t have one!  I’m not a technical person, I put a cd in the machine and sit and listen to it rather than on the go.

Describe yourself in 5 words

Optimistic, happy, hopeful. I will decide the other two in the future.


What really gets your goat?

Excuses.  Just get on and do it, no one else will do it for you.
And people that get to the tube barrier and then decide to hunt for their ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment